Sunday, September 22, 2013

Century

I wanted to come up with something really, profound for my 100th post - and I got nuthin'.

Over the last few days, I've been bitching and whining about how much employment has changed (and since I am still unemployed, this is something I can really relate to).  Living in the Detroit area as I do, it's easy to see the impact unemployment has had here.  One hundred years ago, you could hire yourself out and easily make a living.  One hundred years ago, Detroit was the address to have - it was a bustling metropolis ready to set out and conquer the world.

Such is not the case any more.

The city is in complete disarray, although the emergency manager is desperately trying to fix it.  Crime is rampant.  Unemployment is staggering.  Dropout rates are escalating.  Et cetera, et cetera.

Although I doubt I could survive without the creature comforts of the 21st century (television, Internet, internal heating, air conditioning, microwave, cellular telephone), the way things are make me either wish for a golden era when everything was more simple, or a futuristic Star Trek-type lifestyle where everything is made simple for you.  Anything was possible.

With that thought in mind, I leave you with some images of a very flexible young man (show off!) who does things I can only dream of doing.  I have decided to take a hiatus from posting for a while ... but check back regularly, because once I get started again, you won't know what will be up for the next hundred posts!







No comments:

Post a Comment