Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Broadening our Horizons

Yesterday, I briefly touched on "foreign" brands of underwear, and when I say "foreign," I mean foreign to the American connoisseur.  Unlike cars, appliances, colognes, sports and other specialties, most American men probably don't focus on such things as undershorts.  I do, but only because I've lived in Europe, I've been exposed to the European style and way of doing things, and because European men are ten times better looking than American men.

When it comes to being foreign, I am constantly explaining to our exchange students to use their accents to their advantage.  There's nothing wrong with saying, "I don't understand," (if it will get you out of trouble or away from someone you don't want to talk to ... it's rude, sure, but every once in a while, it's one of those things that simply need to be done), and I think that anything which is outside the American scope of experience should be treated as exotic and enticing.  Certainly there is always some fascination with meeting a stranger from a far-off place, right?  Travel books are full of tips on what to say, how foreigners act, etc.

We try food, local customs, we meet and rub elbows with the locals ... so why should articles of clothing be any different?  I'm sure there are women who have traveled to India and decided to try a sari.  If you go to Japan, slip on a kimono.  Or perhaps the national/folk costume of the locale, like a comfortable pair of Lederhosen when you're in Munich.  My point is - we don't have these things in America.  Americans, in general, need to broaden their horizons, and I say, start with the basics.

That's where this blog comes in.  I'm glad I'm starting to get some hits off this website, and I hope there will be more at some point and from wider areas of the globe.  What do you wear where you live?  What's the "must have" for your bits?  What keeps you and your mates comfortable while you're at the soccer/rugby game?  Tell me, reader from South Africa, that you don't automatically slip on a pair of Calvins and that you have something else to offer.  Or you, Mr. Australia ... are you wearing AussieBums, or something just as form-fitting and hot?  England, are you all wearing Beckham's brand, or Bikkembergs?  What about you, Italy?  I know you have Intimissimi, but what else?

In my drawer you'll find Unico, Clever, 2(x)ist, Emporio Armani, Obviously Male, Joe Boxer, Andrew Christian ... lots of stuff, but I want a global reach for a global audience.  Think about what you wear, and tell me.  Surprise me!  I might even go so far as to set up a post office box so we can do an international swap.  (And how cool would that be?  "Oh, yeah, this pair came from Arkady in Petrograd; these are from Nils in Copenhagen; here's some from Lionel in Canberra; and these are from Juan in Chile.  Neat, huh?")

What's in your underwear drawer?  What's popular where you live?  Broaden the horizons of your underwear brothers everywhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment