Monday, June 17, 2013

Let's Talk Speedos

I mentioned in a previous post that, in addition to being a fan of (boxer) briefs, I am also an advocate of that swimwear favorite, the Speedo.

When I was younger, we'll say twelve, I didn't get the Speedo hype.  And growing up as I did in rural Alabama's Gulf Coast, it wasn't usual to see them at the beach on the weekends.  In fact, I don't recall seeing any.  I only became enamored of Speedos when I joined the swim team and discovered that my dress code consisted of a Lycra swimsuit.

Today, I don't own a pair of board shorts or loose trunks.  Everything I have is in the Speedo category - Aussie Bum, Tyr - you name it, I own it.  And because I am an advocate of underwear that keeps my junk where I want it, it only seems natural to have swimwear that does the same thing.  I'll start with the generalization that (boxer) briefs today are still the rage.  (Keep in mind that I'm not really in a position to do any hard-core research: I don't know that many 25-and-under studs who will readily answer the question, "Boxers or briefs?" when approached by another guy.)

So, these 25-and-unders wear undergarments that keep them stationary.  These same college students and young professionals also usually wear shirts from Abercrombie & Fitch or Hollister that are so tight their nipples break through the fabric.  Ah, yes ... and let's not forget the skinny jeans that have become so popular.  The point is: they wear clothing that is form-fitting and meant to show off their pecs, their quads, their delts, and every other muscle on the planet.  Jocks do not hesitate to take off their shirts for a good game of shirts and skins, and compression shorts have become a ready replacement for the jockstrap.

So ... if you're willing to wear clothes that fit you that tightly, why won't you wear a Speedo?  The only differences between board shorts and Speedos is the length of the leg and the fit.  And, if you're showing the tops of your (boxer) briefs anyway to the point that it's your junk that's keeping your pants up, there's no reason not to wear a Speedo.

I refuse to believe that guys are that self-conscious, so what is it?  Any swimmer will tell you that Speedos (or even jammers) are the way to go for comfort and speed, and most guys will hike up the hems on their boardies in order to get a really high tan line.  Why go through all that trouble when - ta-da! - you can wear a Speedo and not have to bother?

MAKES NO SENSE.

Now, I grant you that there are older men out there who have a reason not to, usually tied to body image.  I even remember reading a news story several years ago about a middle-aged professional lifeguard who refused to undergo his annual competency exam in a Speedo (a requirement for that particular municipality ... his argument was that no one wants to see an old man - even a macho, professional, and well-built old man - in a Speedo).

Age shouldn't make a difference about this fashion trend, though, and it doesn't in Europe.  But unless you're straight and frequenting a gay beach in San Francisco, I can't imagine that your everyday-college-jock is going to be approached by other everyday-college-jocks with the comment, "Love the way your junk is so round and anchored.  Looks good, bro."

Therefore, I entreat everyone and anyone reading these posts to stop being Speedo-discriminatory and give them a try, a genuine go-to-the-beach-lay-back-and-get-a-suntan try.  I doubt you'll receive any really derogatory commentary (directly), and who knows?  You might actually get lucky, depending on where you go and who you're trying to attract.  Thing is, it's not fair to bash something without giving it a try.  I'm willing to lay even money that you'll discover - ta-da! - you like them.  And you'll wonder why you never did it before.  (If Justin Timberlake, Keith Urban, Sean Astin, Aaron Eckhart, Jerry O'Connell, Josh Duhamel and David Hasselhoff, as well as any number of European and Australian celebrities can do it, you can too!)

Once you go Speedo, you never go back.


No comments:

Post a Comment